14 May 2012

Court mounting and swing mounting

When we return medals we are frequently asked by the families how to have them attached to ribbons for wear. This is known as mounting and there are two methods; swing mounting and court mounting.
Swing mounting is when the ribbon is attached to a pin or brooch and the medals are able to freely swing from the ribbon. Most WWI and WWII groups are mounted in this fashion. Unfortunately, the medals are often damaged due to the contact they have with other medals while swinging free. An example of swing mounting is at this link.
The second method is know as court mounting. This method attaches the ribbon to a backing card which has the brooch attached. The medals are stitched to the ribbon and backing so that they don't move. This method is much safer than swing mount as the medal is less likely to fall off the ribbon. Also, there is minimal contact damage as the medals don't move. It is easy to identify a group that has been court mounted as you can see the ribbon behind the medals.
 My medals have just been remounted so that my OAM is part of the group. They are pictured below to show an example of court mounting.
 











Thanks to my mate Daryl for doing a fantastic job.

4 comments:

  1. Congrats on the OAM and a great web site. What is the UN medal on the right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello and thank you very much. The UN medal is for the UN Mission in Sudan. I was the J4 on the military HQ and the Commander of the Australian contingent during the period of the South Sudan separation referendum.

    Glyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glyn,
      Unrelated to your medals I thought you may be interested in this good news story.
      I was recently scanning eBay when I came across a WW2 Defence Medal trio & badges to an Aussie soldier with a familiar but uncommon surname from my own city. The surname belongs to a bowls club friend so I rang him and he said in rather strange voice 'Yes that's my Dad, why are his medals on eBay? I'll tell my son he has a computer.' I feared I had opened a wound. A few days later I met my friend & he was very excited to tell me that his son had won the medals & the whole family were delighted to have them returned, & that they were now researching grand dad's army service. The reason for his 'strange voice' was because of shock. His parents home had been broken into some years ago & because his father didn't march on Anzac Day he probably never missed them. The return of the medals & badges was pure luck & I was delighted to have made the connection.

      Delete
  3. That is a wonderful story. I appreciate you telling me.

    Glyn

    ReplyDelete