09 May 2011

David Carmichael Wallace

I recently received an email from the niece of 3683 David Carmichael Wallace who came across his name on our website. I've had his British War Medal for almost 12 months after it was sent to me by the WA RSL.
Wallace was a member of 11th Bn AIF and I discuss this battalion in this link. He was reported missing in action in June 1916 but later confirmed to be a POW in July 1916. He was eventually released at the end of the war.
Knowing that Wallace served with 11th Bn I had a look at Ian Gill's book Fremantle to France and came across a picture of Wallace. The picture is reproduced below with the kind permission of Ian.
The returned medal tally is now 875.

1 comment:

  1. It's really great that you find and return lost coins. This is something I've never seen before and I think it's a very noble pursuit. Our company produces military medals, so this is close to my heart.

    ReplyDelete