08 March 2020

William Hodskinson

This weekend I've focused on revisiting some of the older research cases we have. I'm always hopeful there is new information has been posted online that will help me locate a family. Yesterday, this is exactly what happened. I looked at my notes on about 10 index cards but really got no where until late in the afternoon when came across a new tree on Ancestry.com which included 3842 PTE William Hodskinson, 24th Battalion, AIF.
William was born in Lythem, Lancashire, UK in 1897. His service record gave me some information like his mother's name and not much else. From the 1911 UK census I could work out all his siblings names but there was very little traceable information after that. I couldn't find William's immigration records but he was obviously in Australia by 1915 when he enlisted.
William is only mentioned in the electoral rolls a few times and each entry has him in a different small Queensland town. I suspect that he was an itinerant worker. The last electoral entry was in 1949.
This search started in 2007 when I received the medal from Peter H of Capalaba, Brisbane. The information I found yesterday showed William's full family so I sent a message to the tree owner. Overnight I received a reply from Pauline who is William's great niece. This is a little exciting for both of us. Pauline has only recently put the pieces of William's life together and I'm so pleased to add her family history.
The returned medal tally is now 2432.


No comments:

Post a Comment