05 June 2016

John Robinson

The first six hours of this search was difficult, the last six minutes was really easy.
The WWII War Medal and Australian Service Medal 1939-45 awarded to VX69037 John Martin Robinson have had a hard life. As can be seen in the photo of the pair, they have come away from their suspenders. John would also have been entitled to at least 2 other medals but where they are is a mystery.
I found John and his wife Mavis in the electoral rolls but it doesn't appear they had any children. Mavis died in 1970 and John in 1988. Both were cremated and interned at Fawkner Memorial Park. From the electoral rolls I found that prior to marrying Mavis, John lived at the same address as Dora Effie Amy Robinson. It got a little confusing here as the only child to Dora was named Martin. However, the birth year on the WWII nominal roll and the Victorian BDM was the same. Some how the names had been mixed up. Dora's unique name proved a bit confusing as I couldn't find her marriage. In the long run I cam to the conclusion that Dora was unmarried when she has John.
Dora had several brothers and sister, one of which was Kendal Percy Leslie Robinson. Kendal had a large family of his own so I followed this line down to Kendal's great grand daughter. The electoral rolls are only available to 1980 on Ancestry.com.au and it was relatively easy to follow the family but after 1980 the difficulties really started. Some educated guesses led me to Tara who is John's grand niece. Once I worked out Tara's married name and where she worked, I found a likely number in the White Pages and called it. Sure enough I had the right family.
Thank you to Christina V who sent me the medals.
The returned medal tally is now 1834.

No comments:

Post a Comment