09 May 2015

7th Light Horse Regiment Memorial Plaque

A recent delivery to my mail box was the WWI Memorial Plaque given to the family of 3496 Albury James Wetherall. Albury was a trooper with the 7th Light Horse Regiment and saw active service in Palestine. He was killed in action in the Jordan Valley on 15 July 1918.
At some point the Memorial Plaque disappeared from the family and ended up in WA. It evidently ended up in the care of Kirsten who contacted me after reading about missing Memorial Plaques while on holiday in New Zealand. The Plaque arrived in yesterday's post but I was only able to start the research this afternoon. Albury was from Warialda NSW and his wider family remained in the area. I was able to follow the marriage of his sister through the records which led me to Albury's great nephew. 15 minutes after starting the search I was talking to the family.
The Plaque has been well cared for by Kirsten and her family. She has even included a note to Albury's family with the Plaque which I will forward on her behalf.
The returned medal tally is now 1668.


2 comments:

  1. Blessed with an unusual name to help the search. Well done :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi its Kirsten who recognised the plaque after reading about some found in Wellington 5years ago.
    Today I shared the story on facebook about how my family had the plaque for many years and how through Glyn we found Aubreys family.
    I often think of Aubrey and his brothers @this time of year and how happy I am that the Widows penny is back with the family.
    Are you aware that Aubreys name will be projected onto the War Memorial in Canberra[Roll of Honour name projection]5th May,16th June and 28th August. How lovely and special that would be to see.
    Best Regards to the Wetherall family.
    And what a dashing Man Aubery is.
    Regards Kirsten Hansen.

    ReplyDelete