12 August 2011

Harold Woodlands

3439 CPL Harold Woodlands served with 1st Pioneer Battalion and was killed in action on 27 April 1918. He is buried at Le Peuplier Military Cemetery.
Harold's British War Medal was sent to me by Gareth who is the secretary of the Australian Society of WW1 Aero Historians. This society also sent me the Benar medals. At first I kept hitting brick walls. The Benar search motivated me to revisit my research on this soldier and I came across a family tree which included Harold. I contacted the tree owner who kindly did some more research and put me in contact with Harold's great nephew, John.
Thank you to Gareth for sending me the medal and thank you to Anissa D for connecting me with John.
The medal returned tally is now 967.





Post update 18 Aug 11

Today I met with John and his family and returned the medal to him.

No comments:

Post a Comment