23 February 2022

WIA at Gallipoli

The WWI service record of 1813 PTE Frederick Henry Power consists of only nine pages. At first this was a little surprising until I saw that Frederick was wounded and as a result returned to Australia.

The service record shows that Frederick joined the 1st Battalion, AIF at Gallipoli on 26 May 1915. On 6 August 1915 he was wounded in action receiving gunshot wounds to his left arm, leg and foot. This is the battalion war diary entry for that date.

There is no specific mention of the casualties the battalion received, however, given the heavy fighting it is not surprising that casualties occurred.

Frederick was evacuated to the Hospital Ship Delta the next day and eventually returned to Australia and discharged on 7 September 1916.

I found Frederick listed on the family tree of Chloe M. The tree indicated that Chloe is Frederick's great great granddaughter so I sent her a message. Yesterday I received a call from Lyn who is Frederick's great granddaughter and I'll be returning Frederick's 1914-15 Star to her in the near future.

Thanks to Iain who safe hand delivered this medal to me a short time ago. And to Chloe for answering my message.

The returned medal tally is now 2701.



No comments:

Post a Comment