07 February 2016

Vietnam Medal

I received the Vietnam Medal awarded to 61987 Michael Wayne Ayers from a friend of mine, Graham Docksey. The medal arrived in July 2014 and I spent a lot of time following Michael and his wife Jane from address to address and job to job around Albury, NSW. I eventually ended up leaving a message with a friend of theirs but never received a reply.
This evening I decided to have another look at this case and the first thing I found was Michael's death notice from July 2015. While I was upset not to have located Michael before he died, the death notice gave me his brother's name, Barry. To my surprise Barry lives in Canberra and I'll be arranging to returning the medal to him, hopefully in person, in the near future.
The returned medal tally is now 1766.

1 comment: