21 October 2012

Gordon Selby

I know very little about the WWII service of V19131 Gordon Ralph Selby other than his V number indicates militia rather than 2nd AIF service and that he was a solider in the 3rd Base Ordnance Depot. Gordon's date of discharge was in 1948 rather in 1946 like most WWII soldiers. I suspect this is because he was involved in the decommissioning of weapons and ammunition at the base depot, a post war process that would have taken a considerable amount of time.
The medal was another one that was sent to me by Graham Docksey of the Albury RSL. This Australian Service Medal 1939-45 will be returned to a member of the Selby family to be added to other items of Selby family military history.
The returned medal tally is now 1190.


2 comments:

  1. What an amazing thing you are doing for our fallen soldier’s families.
    I happened to stumble upon your page as I was googling Australian WW1 Dog Tags.
    My 16 yo daughter is heading to Europe next month to commemorate Australian fallen soldiers from WW1.
    I am wanting to make up a replica of my Great Grandfather’s tags so she can carry them with her.
    My Great Grandfather suffered from a GS to the head and hand and was lucky enough to survive and come home to his family, unlike many others.
    It is something that I am VERY proud of with what she is endeavouring to do. Something that one day I would love the opportunity to do myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Halle and thank you so much for you very kind comment.
    Glyn

    ReplyDelete