20 September 2026

A A King

This search started with an email from Cooper K who told me:

In my family, we’ve had a box of medals passed down from my great great grandfather and great grandfather from ww1 and ww2. Recently in this box, I noticed the medals belonging to 2 other people; a victory medal and a British war medal belonging to Private A. A. King, 37th battalion (the same battalion as my great great grandfather), 2354, and a Korean War medal belonging to W. Harald, 171733. I was just hoping we could return these medals to their families so they can have them. 

When I accessed the service record for 2354 PTE Albert Arthur King the first this that was apparent is that he had a self inflicted wound. Ultimately, Albert was found guilty by a Field General Court Martial for shooting himself in the left foot. The charge says 'carelessly wounded himself in the foot'. What is specifically does' not say is the wound was intentional. This suggests to me this was accidental rather than a premeditated effort to get away from the front. Albert continued to serve in roles other than as an infantry solider which reinforces the accidental nature of his wound.  

I have been in contact with Albert's great niece and will send the medals to her shortly.

The search for the family of W Harald continues.

The returned medal tally is now 3046.



No comments:

Post a Comment