14 June 2023

Defence Long Service Medal

There is quite a bit of a story about how the medal came to me. These are details I don't usually get. This Defence Long Service Medal was forwarded to me by Wendy G, the Office Manager of the Wagga Wagga RSL sub-branch after it had been handed in.

It took a bit of effort to work out who the soldier is just based on initials and a surname but I got there after a few hours combing through electoral rolls and family trees. The owner of one Ancestry tree is the aunt of this soldier and kindly provided me an email address. 

I've now been in contact with DB and found out that their residence, not far from Wagga Wagga, has been burgled a few time in recent years and this obviously was taken. Then it was handed in and came to me. Very soon I'll send this medal home. 

The returned medal tally is now 2800.





No comments:

Post a Comment