30 May 2022

Assistance to the WA Police

This search started with a message from my research friend Sandra. The WA Police had posted a request to find the family of 3264 Arthur Vivian Smith so that his WWI Victory Medal could be returned to his family.

Arthur's service history is rather interesting as he originally enlisted into the 28th Battalion, AIF before transferring to the 1st ANZAC Cyclist Battalion. As part of my research of Arthur, I looked at his entry in the electoral rolls. As it turned out he was on the same page as my grandparents who also had the surname of Smith. 

I could not find any evidence that Arthur married or had children but I did find him on a tree which it turns out is owned by his great nephew. John has now been in touch with Tony from the WA Police and the medal has been retuned.

The returned medal tally is now 2744.


No comments:

Post a Comment