23 March 2022

World War Two and Korean War medal group

This group of eight medals awarded to 21419 Jack Sydney Cowling, RAN came to me from the NSW RSL. Prior to that, Sofie from WA with the help of the Mandurah RSL sub-branch, had forwarded the medals to the NSW RSL. 

There was something niggling in the back of my mind about this name so I did a search of my research notes and found this email:

'Some years ago there was a burglary at my Melbourne home, and my father's service medals were stolen (amongst many other items). He was a Chief Engine Room Artificer in the RAN, #21419, serving from 1937 (perhaps 1936) until after Korea. He served on HMAS Hobart from the time it was transferred to the RAN in the UK until after the Tokyo Bay surrender, then at various shore stations, and then HMAS Sydney (the aircraft carrier) in Korea. Hence he received  a number of Service Medals, including Africa Star, Burma and Pacific, United Nations, Long Service and Good Conduct as well as Defence and some others. They have his service number inscribed on the rim. I guess I have given up hope of seeing them again but to-day I became aware of your organisation, and thought I would contact you to see if you can assist or suggest avenues I might pursue in trying to locate them.'

This email was sent to me in 2014 by Jack's son Sid. 

Jack joined the Royal Australian Navy in 1937 as an Engine Room Artificer. At the time he probably didn't realise that the majority of his career would be spent at war. This link is to the synopsis of his WWII service. He later went on to serve in the Korean War as described in this link. While it is hard to read, this is Jack's service card. It looks like Jack spent the entire period of WWII on HMAS Hobart (I). He was aboard HMAS Sydney (III) during the Korean War. 

Jack discharged from the Royal Australian Navy in 1954. He and his wife settled in Melbourne before he died in 1967. 

Jack's service record indicates that he was also awarded a long service and good conduct medal but that is not included in this group. The style of naming is exactly what I would expect for medals issued by the Royal Australian Navy. The font is different to those issued by the Army and the impressing is more pronounced.  

Thanks to Sofie who initiated the chain of events which ended up closing the loop with Sid. Thanks also to Ivan and Tracey from NSW RSL. Jack's stolen medals will soon be returned to his son. 

The returned medal tally is now 2732.






No comments:

Post a Comment