06 July 2016

George Delaney

This is the second medal dropped off last week by Stephanie H. The other was the Williamson medal. Concluding both searches so quickly wasn't easy but very satisfying.
8825 George Delaney was a driver with the 2nd Divisional Ammunition Column. His service record contains quite a bit of correspondence to the Army about several topics. One was was about the medals awarded to his brother written while he was an inmate of the Geelong Reformatory. George must have had an interesting life as I found the following newspaper entry placed by his wife Louisa.

This, combined with the story of their divorce, points at the troubles George must have had in life.
This story and a note in George's service record name two daughters. However, based on the evidence I found I don't believe that they married at all.
I also had a good look at George's brother 2347 James John Delaney who was killed in action on 4 Aug 17. James' body was never found and he is memorialised at Menin Gate.
My research led me to George's great niece who I'll send the medal to.
The returned medal tally is now 1846.

No comments:

Post a Comment