24 October 2014

More assistance to the Police

This post is about two bits of research I've done for different state Police Forces.

The first was assistance to the Victorian Police Force which involved a group of five WWII medals which had turned up with a second hand dealer but were stolen. Because the case is still subject to legal action I really can't provide more details other than to say the family will soon receive the medals back.

The second case came from the WA Police Force. Last month I received an email from a Senior Constable who was following up a referral to me after a Face Book post. Two WWI medals and other military badges had been handed in and they were a bit stuck . One medal was named to 2861 John William McCluney the other to 2123 Frederick Lee. Both soldiers were from Toodyay, WA and served in 44th Battalion, AIF.

This is what I worked out about John William McCluney. John was married to Eva Janet Lee, he died in 1963 and Eva in 1986. They has two daughters, Joan and Joyce. Both married in 1941.
Joyce to a WW2 soldier, David, she died in 2012 and David in 2011. This information was enough to help me work out the name of Joyce and David's son.
Frederick was the brother of Eva so the medals and badges are part of a family collection.
I was able to provide all this to my Senior Constable POC and she has now been in contact with the family. I now know that Joan was burgled in April 2014 but didn't know that these items were missing.
The returned medal tally is now 1551.


No comments:

Post a Comment