20 March 2022

Sid Spence

No medals are being returned on this occasion, rather, three personal items which I have no doubt were precious to SX1770 Sydney Stewart Spence. The collection includes Sid's dog tags, his pocket watch and a pocket book of bush ballads. 

The inscription inside the front cover of the book is very touching. It says - S.S.S 4.5.40 So you wont forget "the outback".

My research led me to believe that Sid didn't have any children. This was confirmed when I contacted Sid's great niece yesterday. This is Kay who tells me that she remembers Sid well from childhood holidays. 

Sid died in 1990 while he was a resident of RSL Care SA. When Nathan from RSL Care SA handed me the bag of medals last month, it was Sid's watch which he pulled out as an example of the type of items he was keen to see returned to families. And Sid's watch is still working.




 

No comments:

Post a Comment