26 September 2026

Robert Bower - WWI pair

This return has several complications so I try to keep the explanation succinct.

This story started with a message from Darryl W who had the WWI pair awarded to 677A CPL Robert Bower. Darryl's father in law served in the RAN and one of his mates was R34273 George Kenneth Bower. Known as Ken, this was Robert's son. Ken did marry and this was to NF452704 Joan Muriel Henry. However, they didn't have any children and were divorced after a few years of marriage. 

When Ken died, Robert's medals passed to Darryl's wife's family and that has what has led to this research.

Robert had several siblings one was David Renfrew Bower. His son was 165909 AC Frank Bower who served in the RAAF during WWII. Frank had three sons; Carl, Ray and Kevin. Robert was from Wallsend in NSW and the successive generations have remained in the Newcastle area. I came across a social media post about a Wallsend school reunion and seeking to locate the Bower brothers. This search was successful. I contacted the reunion organiser and my details were passed to Kevin. 

Kevin had I spoke yesterday and he is very excited about getting his great uncles' medals back into the family.

Thank you to Darryl for sending me the medal and to Carl for connecting me with the Bower family. The returned medal tally is now 3048.










1 comment:

  1. Great job. Thanks for getting them home….

    ReplyDelete