26 June 2022

Assistance to the Victorian Police

This search started after I received an email from Detective Senior Constable B Gibson of the Victorian Police. The email described how the medals awarded to NX33899 Cyril Dempster and 3751542 William Maxwell Dempster had come into the possession of the police as well as several photos.   

Cyril enlisted on 17 June 1940 and was reported missing in Malaya on 1 April 1942. Cyril died while a POW at Sandakan

William Dempster, based on his medal entitlement, was a National Serviceman. From the information I found on public records I surmised that William was Cyril's nephew. By using the electoral rolls I narrowed down where William lived and found a family by the same name in the general location. I provided this information to Detective Senior Constable Gibson who has now arranged for the medal to be handed back to the family. 

The returned medal tally is now 2767.






No comments:

Post a Comment