24 April 2022

George Michie - WWI pair

This return has been several years in the making. Each time I've had a look at this soldier a little bit more information became available and yesterday it all came together.

My part in the search for the family of 909 George Leslie Michie started following an email from Mike V who came across the WWI medals awarded to George in a collection of coins he had. Mike did a considerable amount of research on George then enlisted my assistance to track down George's family. 

George was a 34 year old civil servant when he enlisted in 1916 and allocated to 55th Battalion, AIF. I think that his obituary summarises his war experience far better than a retelling of his service record.

While I could find details of George's immediate family, it was difficult to pin down the current generation and find their contact details. As we approach Anzac Day 2022, Mike spurred me on to have another look and sure enough, some recent information posted online led me to the final piece of the puzzle. After sending out a couple of speculative social media messages, I was in contact with George's granddaughter. This is Robyn and she is now in contact with Mike. Persistence pays off.

The returned medal tally is now 2739.        



1 comment:

  1. Amazing! Thank you so much for your perseverence. Looking forward to receiving the medals. Robyn

    ReplyDelete